Congratulations to this year's Glenview Civic Award recipients. The 49th annual Glenview Civic Awards recognize and pay tribute to the citizens in Glenview who have "made a difference" performing community service in 2015.
- Citizen of the Year -- Charles "Ace" Realie
- Worked to preserve Glenview history during The Glen redevelopment; was President of the Glenview History Center (formerly Glenview Historical Society); longtime active and contributing member of Joseph M. Sesterhenn American Legion Post 166
- Youth of the Year -- Sydney DeHorn
- Involvement in service and charity work since 14; raised more than $50,000 for veterans through her "Sisters for Heroes"
- Public Safety Award -- Telecommunicator Mike Karp
- Helped a 911 caller thwart a suicide attempt
- Public Service Award -- Hugh Rodriguez
- Aided police in the reporting and apprehension of a criminal involved in an auto burglary
- Special Committee Award -- Mark Walther
- Involvement in Character Counts! in Glenview, youth services, citizenship; and a positive energy that promotes doing good in the community
Read these criteria for the award nominations
This civic event is sponsored by service clubs in the Village -- American Legion Post 166, Glenview Women's Club, Kiwanis Club of Glenview/Northbrook, Lions, Navy League-Glenview Council, Optimist, Rotary-Luncheon and Rotary-Sunrise -- and the Glenview Chamber of Commerce. Each year, a member of each organization participates on a selection committee that reviews nominations and selects award recipients.
The 2015 Glenview Civic Awards will be presented at an event on Friday, April 8, at the Valley Lo Club, 2200 Tanglewood Drive. A reception from 6 to 6:45 p.m. will be followed by dinner and the awards ceremony. Entree is a chicken or fish combination at $50 per person. Arrangements may be made to reserve an entire table, if desired. Seating is limited to 180 so early reservations are recommended. Call Sandie Elliott at (847) 901-6100 to make reservations.
Plan now to join with your fellow Villagers in honoring the recipients of the 2015 Glenview Civic Awards, and let them know that their efforts in making Glenview an outstanding Village are appreciated.