The most environmentally-friendly option is to not dispose of yard waste at all! Grass clippings make excellent fertilizer, add nutrients to your lawn, and reduce evaporation. Mow regularly with sharp blades when the grass is dry. Leaves can be composted cleanly and without odor.
The Village of Glenview contracts with Groot Industries for weekly curbside landscape waste collection. Landscape waste is collected once per week from April 1 through November 30, unless extended. Fees that are separate from residential garbage and recycling collection apply for this service.
To determine your pickup day, please click here for a map.
To bag your yard waste for collection, use 30-gallon paper yard waste bags, and attach one landscape waste sticker to each bag. Effective January 1, 2016, stickers cost $3.13 each, and can be purchased at:
- Village Hall, 2500 East Lake Avenue
- Jewel, 1340 Patriot Boulevard, 2775 Pfingsten Road and 2502 Waukegan Road
- Weiss Ace Hardware, 1560 Waukegan Road
- Heinen's, 1020 Waukegan Road
- Glenview True Value, 3222 Glenview Road
- Walgreens, 2871 Pfingsten Road, 1403 Waukegan Road, 3301 Glenview Road or 2690 Golf Road
- Online at Groot’s website.
You can make a one-time payment to Groot for weekly curbside residential yard waste collection for the entire landscape waste season -- from late April through late November/early December. Effective January 1, 2017, the fee is $145, regardless of when you sign up for the subscription. As a subscriber, you can select one of two options for yard waste collection:
- Rent a 95-gallon cart from Groot for $7.78 for the entire season.
- Use 30-gallon yard waste bags. If you opt to use yard waste bags, you can set out up to four bags per week without stickers. If you have additional yard waste and need to set out more than four bags, place one yard waste sticker on each bag above four bags. During the month of November, you can set out an unlimited number of bags.
To enroll in the seasonal subscription program, please visit Groot’s website or call Groot at (800) 244-1977.
You may choose to contract with a private landscaper for yard waste services at their expense. Please keep in mind that Groot will not pick up unstickered items that your landscaper may put out on your curb.
Remember, dumping, burning (even in a fireplace), scattering, or burying any type of waste material is prohibited.