The Village of Glenview

Altering Your Property

Planning on doing some remodeling?

Work requiring a permit

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Village and obtain the required permit.

A permit is needed for work in connection with, but not limited to, the following:

  • Any other work or action for which a fee is prescribed
  • Installing, closing, or changing any stair-hall, fire escape, scuttle, skylight, door and door hardware or other means of communication, ingress, egress
  • Changing the number, location or connections of the fixtures, traps, vents, waste, soil, drain
  • Changing to a different system of heating, cooling, or ventilation
  • Re-shingling or recovering of roofs
  • Renewing of exterior finishing
  • Pools / hot tubs

Work not requiring a permit

  • Painting
  • Carpeting
  • Trim work
  • Cabinets (installation of, not involving re-location, change in lay-out, or electrical work)
  • Flooring 

Obtaining a permit

If you are ready to apply for a building permit for a home improvement project, visit our building permit page for more information regarding fees, proper documentation on the overall process. 

Vacant property

The Village considers buildings to be vacant if they remain boarded or in a state of deterioration for more than six months and/or no longer have a current property listing contract. As such, they are detrimental to public health and safety, contribute to the decrease in value of surrounding properties, precipitate disinvestment by neighboring owners, provide a location for criminal activity and undermine the aesthetic character of the neighborhood and the Village.

It is the obligation of the owner of a vacant property, per Village  ordinance, to register the property and to implement a maintenance plan. The form below must be filled out and a $200 application fee paid.​