Planning on doing some remodeling?
Work requiring a permit
Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Village and obtain the required permit.
A permit is needed for work in connection with, but not limited to, the following:
- Any work or action for which a fee is prescribed
- Addition, remodeling, or construction of any structure
- Demo of any structure that is 750 square feet or more (Cook County permit may be required if under 750 square feet.)
- Installing, closing, or changing any stair-hall, fire escape, scuttle, skylight, door and door hardware or other means of communication, ingress, egress
- Changing the number, location or connections of the fixtures, traps, vents, waste, soil, drain
- Changing to a different system of heating, cooling, or ventilation
- Electrical service or other electrical work
- Re-shingling or recovering of roofs
- Changing of siding or exterior finishes
- Pools / hot tubs / decks / sheds / patio / sidewalk / fence / generators / solar panels / gas fire pit
Work not requiring a permit
- Interior painting / exterior painting (single family residential)
- Trim work
- Cabinets (installation of, not involving re-location, change in lay-out, or electrical work)
Obtaining a permit
If you are ready to apply for a building permit for a home improvement project, visit our building permit page for more information regarding fees, proper documentation on the overall process.
The Village considers buildings to be vacant if they remain boarded or in a state of deterioration for more than six months and/or no longer have a current property listing contract. As such, they are detrimental to public health and safety, contribute to the decrease in value of surrounding properties, precipitate disinvestment by neighboring owners, provide a location for criminal activity and undermine the aesthetic character of the neighborhood and the Village.
It is the obligation of the owner of a vacant property, per Village ordinance, to register the property and to implement a maintenance plan. The form below must be filled out and a $200 application fee paid.