Roadway widening will improve Chestnut Avenue safety
The Village of Glenview is improving roadway safety at Chestnut Avenue between Waukegan Road and Lehigh Avenue to make the conditions safer for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.
The project, which is supported by the Surface Transportation and Illinois Transportation Enhancement Program grant, is anticipated to start in summer 2022.
Chestnut Avenue will be widened from two lanes to three lanes, including green medians and lighting and incorporate improved geometry at the Chestnut and Tanglewood intersection. There will also be storm sewer improvements, including additional in-line storage.
The addition of a continuous, third lane will improve safety and traffic flow. In addition, a proposed multi-use path will accommodate pedestrians and cyclists along the north side of Chestnut Avenue.
Chestnut Avenue – Nicor Gas Utility Work
Starting August 8, the Nicor Contractor, NPL will be starting the gas relocation work, beginning at John's Drive and working east. This work consists of installation of new gas main pipe on the south side of Chestnut, within the parkway, multiple crossings to connect to other mains, and replacement of gas main services on Chestnut. Nicor is anticipated to complete this work within 8 to 10 weeks. Residents will receive a notification letter from the contractor in advance (see below)
Important Information from Nicor Gas.pdf
Village staff shared design plans and discussed the project aspects and next steps with residents at an Open House on Dec. 13, 2021. Click here to review the presentation from the Open House.
Engineering Division Manager: Adriana Webb
Widen Chestnut Avenue from two lanes to three to improve traffic flow
- New multi-use path to improve pedestrian safety
- Increased storm storage capacity
- Street lighting
- Anticipated to start in summer 2022
Project information and updates
Budget: 3.8 million. (2.98 million by grant funding through Surface Transportation Program (STP) and Illinois Transportation Enhancement Program (ITEP)).
Project Number: E20-0026
Project Exhibits: Click here
Location map: Click here
- Phase II Engineering: June 2021 - February 2022
- Design Open House Meeting -- Dec. 13, 2021
- Nicor utility relocation - Summer 2022
- Pre-construction resident open house meeting - September 15, 2022
- Construction Schedule
- Phase I – Site preparation and underground work
- March 2023: Tree removal, layout
- April – May 2023:
- Water main work
- Storm sewer installation
- June 2023 - Excavation for road widening and foundation installation for lights
- Phase II – Roadway Reconstruction
- July – August 2023:
- Curb and Gutter Installation
- Multi-Use Path and Sidewalk Installation
- Removal and placement of the first layer of asphalt
- Phase III – Restoration and Landscaping
- August – September -October 2023:
- Parkway Restoration
- Tree Planting
- Street Light Installation
- Placing final layer of asphalt
- Pavement Marking
Schedule may be revised due to inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
Work hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Work outside these hours will require Village approval.