The Village is using Smart911 to allow anyone with a phone -- mobile, landline or Voice Over IP (VOIP) -- to create a 911 Safety Profile online and sign up to receive emergency notifications.
To sign up
Go to smart911.com and sign up. There's no fee or cost for this service. Create an account that is private and secure. Once the account is created and verified, the user has many options. The Village recommends setting up a Safety Profile and setting up notification preferences.
Plan ahead so that public safety dispatchers have the information they need to provide help fast in an emergency. Through this free online sign-up service anyone can create a Safety Profile. Through this profile, telecommunicators and first responders will have all necessary information in case of an emergency for a more detailed, rapid response, such as pets in a home, vehicle description and emergency contacts. Home and work addresses can be linked to mobile phones, which currently do not provide an address to a 911 dispatcher.
Some of the information that could be life-saving for first responders:
- Medical conditions, such as epilepsy, diabetes, Alzheimer's, allergies and mental health
- Seniors and elderly care, as well as caretaker contact information
- Physical disabilities and mobility limitations
- Pets and service animals, so that it is known how many need to be found and/or evacuated
Select the notifications you want to receive from communities listed that are part of the Glenview Public Safety Dispatch Center. At a minimum, it is recommended to select:
- Important messages from the Village of Glenview
- Village of Glenview Public Safety alerts and notifications -- These important messages from the Glenview Police and Fire departments could include:
- evacuations and shelter locations
- shelter-in-place locations
- flood warnings
- extended utility interruptions affecting all or a signification portion of the Village (or region)
- public health incidents
- specific police operations; for example, incidents such as lost children or fleeing suspects