We want to keep Glenview's young ghouls, goblins and ghosts safe this Halloween!
Trick-or-treating hours in the Village are 3 to 7 p.m., rain or shine, on Tuesday, Oct. 31.
Keep these tips in mind if your kids haunt the neighborhood:
- Accompany children (or send an older sibling) and make sure they don't enter anyone's home without your permission.
- Map out a trick-or-treat route for your children to follow.
- Make sure kids cross only at corners -- and look in all directions first. Remind them to use sidewalks or walk facing traffic so approaching cars can be seen.
- Caution them against crossing the street between parked cars, where driver's can't see them.
- Warn children not to eat any goodies until you've had a chance to inspect them. When in doubt, throw it out.
- Residents can make known whether they do or don't welcome trick-or-treaters by posting a sign in their window:
Click here for pdf Click here for pdf
What to do with the pumpkin
Carving a jack o' lantern is a time-honored Halloween tradition, followed by a reported 44 percent of Americans. But after the holiday is over, they likely end up in the trash. So when Halloween is over, try not to throw out your pumpkin(s). What can you do?