Project Manager: Tom Hagerty
Natural Resources Manager: Robyn Flakne
Engineering Division Manager: Adriana Webb
A water quality project for the West Fork of the North Branch of the Chicago River is planned on the 1300 block of Pine Street, where 11 residences were removed in 2015 due to frequent and excessive flooding. The Village has secured a grant from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency's 319(h) program that will cover approximately half of the improvement costs on Village-owned property that will reduce pollutants in the river. The proposed improvements, which follow best management practices, include
- removing invasive plan species along the west river bank,
- installing a bio-swale and rain garden along and within 40 feet of the river and stabilizing the river bank, and
- stabilizing the bank using rock armoring and vegetation and a rock riffle structure that will cross the creek and connect along Sleepy Hollow Park to add dissolved oxygen into the water.
These improvements will improve the immediate area by creating naturalized flora which will encourage native fauna. Additionally, the reduced pollutant runoff to the river will further improve the water quality of this scenic waterway. There is no anticipated impact to the east river bank.
On July 7, 2020, the Village Board of Trustees authorized an Intergovernmental Agreement with the Lake County Stormwater Management Commission to manage and coordinate the grant funding, since the Village partners with the commission and is part of the North Branch Chicago Watershed.
Project information and updates
Contractor: ENCAP, Inc. of DeKalb, Ill.
Location map: Click here
- September 10, 2020 Open House: PowerPoint presentation
- Resident preconstruction meeting: January 7, 2021
- Resident preconstruction meeting: March 11, 2021
- Bid award: February 16, 2021 (Read Staff Report)
- Estimated construction start: March 1, 2021
- March 22 -- Erosion control measure, tree protection and tree removal
- April 26 -- Project layout
- May 3 -- Excavation and streambank stabilization
- May 17 -- Planting and restoration
- mid June -- Plug planting
- September-October -- Tree planting
Schedule may be revised due to inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday. Work outside these hours will require Village approval.