The Senior Service Coordinator can be found on the main floor of Village Hall, 2500 East Lake Avenue. Coordinator Kimberly Hand, MS, CMC, is available from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (unless otherwise posted) to provide information and specialized services to older adults and their families. This service is provided through a contractual agreement with the North Shore Senior Center paid for by the Village of Glenview.
Information available through this service includes:
- Counseling about concerns of older adults and their family members
- Care management for older individuals living independently at home
- Support groups for individuals and family members dealing with health issues such as Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease and with vision and hearing loss
- Adult protective services
- Supportive services in the home such as housekeeping and chore services
- Assistance with Medicare, health insurance and entitlement programs such as energy assistance, tax relief programs, and pharmaceutical assistance programs
- Directories of nursing facilities, retirement home and guide to selecting home health care organizations
- Guides to senior services in individual communities
- Coordination and monitoring of services provided by multiple organizations
- Health education and screenings
- Wellness and fitness programs
- Screening and counseling for those considering moving to a nursing home
- Assistive devices available for loan, up to three (3) months, to seniors. Items that are available are canes, walkers, crutches, bath benches, bath chairs, transfer benches, raised toilets, seats with arms, commodes and wheelchairs
- Donations of equipment are also accepted. Call first to determine availability.
Seniors interested in recreational, social and educational services are encouraged to visit the North Shore Senior Center at 161 Northfield Road, Northfield, or the Glenview Senior Center at 2400 Chestnut Avenue. Operated by the Glenview Park District, the Glenview Senior Center has approximately 1,700 members and operates Monday through Friday, as well as some weekends. Call (847) 724-4793 for more information.
For an overview of services and programs available to older people living in their own homes, visit the Illinois Department of Aging website.
Senior Housing Assistance Program
The application process for the 2020 Village Senior Housing Assistance Program is closed. The program is designed to help Glenview residents with their property taxes or rent. Recipients must be at least 62 years old; have lived within the corporate limits of the Village for at least two years; and meet yearly income thresholds. The Village of Glenview approved up to $2,195 per year toward rent or property taxes for qualifying Glenview senior citizens in the 2020 program.
Glenview seniors are able to borrow equipment for three months at no charge. The equipment includes:
- Wheel chairs
- Walkers with wheels
- Four-prong canes
- Raised toilet seat with arms
- Bath bench
- Bath chair
- Transfer bench
Call (847) 904-4366 for availability and to reserve your Loan Closet items.
Depot Square information
Depot Square Senior Condominiums is an independent living environment at 1220 Depot Street, just north of the downtown Glenview train station.
Applicants must be at least 62 years old and are ranked according to priority categories and total income.