The budget is the most important work product the Village Board must develop and approve every year. Not only is it a legal document detailing how dollars are spent, but it also lays out Village goals and objectives for the coming year.
The process of preparing the budget begins in April each year with the development of a five-year forecast. Village staff use that forecast to develop each department’s budget using a zero-based approach, meaning that rather than drawing from last year’s budget, the Village starts from scratch to ensure a ground-up review of all expenditures on an annual basis.
The formal, public budget cycle kicks off in the fall through a series of three budget workshops in which the Board and the public review and discuss revenues, expenses and ongoing capital improvement projects. These workshops are open for public participation, providing residents and business owners the opportunity to ask questions and give feedback about spending priorities.
The Board then meets once in November to review the property tax levy, which is the amount of revenue a taxing jurisdiction needs to raise from property taxes. Then it meets once more in December to formally adopt the final budget. Both the levy review and final review of the budget are preceded by public hearings to allow for public participation.
Glenview’s process for preparing the budget has served the Village well. The Village has maintained a balanced budget going back decades and has received a Aaa rating from Moody's for 32 years running – one of only 13 Illinois municipalities currently receiving this highest score. This credit rating allows the Village to take advantage of lower interest rates when financing is needed and is a testament to the Village’s strong financial position.
The final budget is made up of a number of individual funds that collect revenue and pay for expenses. Here's a helpful guide to the Village's various funds.
Listed below are the tentative times and dates for this year's budget workshops and meetings:
- Budget Workshop I: 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 7 - Staff presented a Corporate Fund overview and the draft 2024 Capital Improvement Program budget.
- Budget Workshop II: 6.30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 5 - Library Preliminary Budget, TIF Fund, Corporate Fund with Operating Department Budgets, Permanent Fund (continued to Workshop III), and Internal Service Funds (continued to Workshop III)
- Budget Workshop III: 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 26 - Non-Profit Core Service Funding, Operating Depts (continued), Permanent Fund, Internal Service Funds, 2023 Tax Levy and Water and Sewer Rates
Budget Workshop I: -- Financial overview; Capital Improvement Program budget
- Budget Workshop II:- Corporate Fund Update, Operating Department Budgets, Enterprise Funds, ARPA Update
- Budget Workshop III-- Other Budgets, Non-Profit Core Service Funding, Draft 2022 Tax Levy, CIP Update
- 2022 Tax Levy Public Hearing: 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 15
- 2023 Budget Public Hearing: 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 6