Parcel 24 is about 40 acres of land on the northwest corner of West Lake Avenue and Shermer Road. Originally, the land was part of the 1,100-acre Glenview Naval Air Station, but remained in U.S. Navy hands after the base closed in 1995 and was conveyed to the Village of Glenview. The Village bought the parcel in 2007 after the Navy determined it was no longer needed for military housing.
On September 3, 2013, the Village Board of Trustees authorized execution of amended purchase and sales agreements with Edward R. James Partners and Willow Creek Community Church, regarding the sale of more than 40 acres of former Glenview Naval Air Station property at the northwest corner of Shermer Road and West Lake Avenue.
To address concerns about traffic generated by the church, the size of the church building and parking lot, the potential purchasers agreed to "flip" the parcels to be acquired, so that the church would be located on the north end and the residential development, on the south end.
Board of Trustees approval
On March 4 and 18, 2014, the Board of Trustees approved the Plan Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals recommendations for the Willow Creek Church and Edward R. James Residential developments.
Plan Commission recommendation
The Plan Commission on January 14, 2014, unanimously voted to make these recommendations:
- Endorsed a comprehensive plan amendement, official map amendment, rezoning, conditional use, final site plan review and preliminary subdivision for Willow Creek Community Church, 2000 Shermer Road.
- Endorsed a comprehensive plan amendment, official map amendment, rezoning, final site plan review and preliminary subdivision for West Gate at the Glen, 3000 West Lake Avenue.
Reviews and public hearings were conducted by the Plan Commission on:
The proposals as revised
Below are plans and studies for the Willow Creek Community Church and Edward R. James Residential Development submitted after the potential purchasers agreed to "flip" the parcels to be acquired, so that the church would be located on the north end and the residential development, on the south end. These were the proposals submitted to the Plan Commission for its review:
Willow Creek Community Church
Edward R. James - West Gate at the Glen
Parcel 24 Traffic Study
Parcel 24 Fiscal Studies
Zoning Board of Appeals review
- January 13, 2014 – Willow Creek Community Church presentation regarding site plan, building design, lighting; public comment
- February 17, 2014 - Willow Creek Community Church presentation regarding signage; public comment
Appearance Commission review
- January 29, 2014 - Willow Creek Community Church preliminary review of signage and landscaping; public comment
- February 12, 2014 - Preliminary Appearance Approval of signange and landscaping; public comment
Parcel 24 Regulatory review process